Clerk & Treasurer
In order to prepare for the primary election on August 11th, the Essex town clerk’s office will be closed on Monday, August 10th and will not available for appointments or phone calls. The vault (title searching) will be open by appointment only (the outside doors are still locked) on Tuesday, August 11th.
We are currently CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC. Phone, mail, and email service only (available 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. M-F).
Marriage licenses - "curbside service" appointment only at this time
Dog licenses - mail or email only
Liquor licenses - call or email Voter Registration - online at https://olvr.vermont.gov/ Fish & Game license - online
Taxes or Water & Sewer - by check (mail or dropbox) or online (button below)
Essential Vital Records or Land Records - phone, mail or email
Online public access to our Land Record Index
Notary services - not being offered at this time. Many banks will provide this service by appointment.
Cemetery - call or email email@example.com with cemetery questions
(Please see above for availability limitations during COVID-19 crisis)
- Issuing licenses for marriage, dog, fish and game, liquor and entertainment
- Notary services, no fee (note: we do not notarize real estate documents or anything to do with identity such as passports, I-9’s, etc. for liability reasons)
- Payment of taxes and water/sewer bills
- Recording and maintenance of all documents pertaining to land birth, death, and marriage records
- Recording of all land records for the Town of Essex and Village of Essex Junction
- Purchase certified copies of birth, death, marriage and land records
- Register to vote and vote absentee
- Maintain cemetery records
- To renew vehicle registrations please go the the State’s online renewal
Recording Fee Notice
Vermont recording fees will increase effective July 1, 2019. View the summary of changes (PDF).