- Your Government
- Public Works
- Notice of Increase of Water & Sewer Rates
Notice of Increase of Water & Sewer Rates
The Town of Essex Selectboard has adopted new water and sewer rates and fees for the period following the spring 2023 billing (FYE 2024). There is a 4.74% increase in the water rate and a 6.28% increase in the sewer rate for the following reasons:
- The need to meet increased water costs from the Champlain Water District, an increase in wastewater treatment costs from the Tri-town Wastewater Treatment Facility, and other costs.
- The need to maintain the sewer and water funds on a firm financial basis by setting aside adequate funds for system operation and depreciation.
A complete explanation of the rate changes can be found on the Town of Essex web page, www.essexvt.org or a copy can be mailed to you upon request.
Water Rate & Fees
The municipal water rate and associated fees adopted by the Selectboard are:
- The water rate is increased from $5.90 per 1,000 gallons to $6.18 per 1,000 gallons.
- The water initiation fee will remain the same with a $1,000 base fee per connection plus $5.90 per gallon per day of capacity.
- The water minimum charge per year is increased at $190 per year.
- All water system users will be billed three (3) times per year.
- An interim or final water bill will be charged $35.
Sewer Rate & Fees
The municipal sewer rate and associated fees adopted by the Selectboard are:
- The sewer rate is increased from $10.27 per 1,000 gallons to $10.91 per 1,000 gallons.
- The sewer initiation fee will remain the same with a $1,000 base fee plus $10.60 per gallon of capacity.
- All sewer system users will be billed three (3) times per year.
- Interim or Final Billing request at $35. (Note: If combined with a water interim or final billing request, the total charge for both will be $35.)
Rate Change Implementation & Effects
The rate change is in effect as of the date of rate approval by the Selectboard (May 15, 2023) for all connection fees and with usage billings in the billing period following the spring 2023 billings.
The first Town-wide billing under the new rates will occur in November of 2023. Subsequent bills will be sent out in March and July.
A single-family residence with both municipal sewer and water using an average of 200 gallons per day can anticipate a total increase of $5.60 per month in their municipal sewer and water bill.
A copy of the Town's Water and Sewer Ordinance can be found on the Town's Policies and Ordinances page, located here. Click on the link for the Town Ordinance PDF which incorporates all the Ordinances for the Town.
If you have any questions regarding the new sewer and water rates and fee structure, please contact the Public Works Department at 802-878-1344.