Essex Historic Resources
The Vermont Department of Historic Preservation is primarily responsible for preservation and documentation of Vermont's historic resources. Their website contains a wealth of information about Vermont's history, preservation programs and designations, as well as a searchable Online Resource Center database.
In addition to its abundance of natural resources, the Town of Essex has a long and rich human history extending back to about 13,000 years ago when Native Americans first lived in the area, and more recently since they were mostly displaced by European settlers starting in the 17th century of the common era (C.E.). Evidence of human lifestyles and cultures can be found around us today by studying archaeological artifacts, built structures, recorded documents, and the natural landscape.
The Town of Essex has grown and changed since its inception, but the town has retained many of its historical structures. The Vermont Division for Historic Preservation lists 107 individual historic sites in Essex, including the Village of Essex Junction. A significant portion of the historic sites are located in what the Division considered the Essex Center Historic District. Fort Ethan Allen contains the town’s other concentration of historic structures. All but a few of the Fort’s buildings are included in Vermont Division for Historic Preservation’s inventory for Essex, and the entire Fort has been established as being of national significance.
The Essex history resources listed here by the Conservation and Trails Committee are maintained by non-municipal organizations. Check web sites or contact each facility for up-to-date information and to be sure of current hours or to arrange a visit. This is not a complete listing and suggested additions are welcome. Please Report any needed corrections to Town Planner Darren Schibler, email@example.com, (802) 878-1343.
|Historic Resource||Location / Address||Website / Contact|
|Fort Ethan Allen Museum||11 Marcy Road, Essex, VT
Visit by appointment
|Essex Community Historical Society||PO Box 8388, Essex, VT||Eva Clough, President|
|Harriet Farnsworth Powell Historical Museum||3 Browns River Road, Essex, VT
Open Sundays 1:00PM - 4:00PM
|Essex Community Historical Society|
|1805 Schoolhouse||3 Jericho Road, Essex, VT (located in The Common)||Hubie Norton|
|Bixby Hill Sugar House and Maple Sugaring Museum||52 Bixby Hill Road, Essex, VT||Joe Jordan|
|Evolution of School Districts and General School History, 1763-1867||Video Presentation by Hubie Norton||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj_Yhx5T7i4|